Banana & Berry Oats
January 15, 2021
Who doesn’t love a hot, rich and creamy breakfast on a cold morning! I now live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and our temperatures are down to below 30, which is extremely cold!
Whether you live in cold or warm climate, you can still enjoy this delicious bowl of oatmeal. Make a big batch, refrigerate it and save it for the following day for breakfast or even as a snack.
Oats are an excellent whole grain option that provide us with soluble fibres which help to lower cholesterol and control our blood sugar levels. When cooking oats with regular milk, you can also benefit from getting more protein as milk contains 9 g of protein/cup. Did you know that almond milk only has 1 g of protein/cup? So by including a breakfast high in fibre and protein, you will be satiated for hours!
You can add fruits, walnuts, almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds…the options are endless. If you’re very active, this would make for an excellent post-workout snack too!
Banana and Berry Oats
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 2 cups regular milk or soy milk
- 1 ripened banana mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup frozen berries strawberry, raspberry and blueberry
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3 walnuts
- In a pot, combine oats, milk, vanilla extract and mashed banana. Cook on med/high heat for 6-8 min. Stir oats and reduce heat when milk starts to bubble.
- Once oats soften, add berries and cook for 2 min and stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve into 2 bowls (or keep the 2nd serving for the following day). Add toppings and enjoy!