The Best Beef Chilli
January 19 2020
This is not your classic chilli, but don’t fret, it will not disappoint! I tend to change up my recipes and improvise with the foods I have on hand. As a result, I never end up making the same meal twice, so this is how my recipe came about.
Last time I made chilli, I used ground turkey instead of beef, and it was equally delicious! If you’re vegetarian, you can replace the meat with “beyond meat”.
Come summer time, I love making a “summer chilli” where I add eggplant and other veggies that are in season (see picture below). Recipes are just a guide, so feel free to omit or add other ingredients to make it your own.
If you try the recipe, please tag me on instagram @fruitfulkitchen, I would love to see how your version turns out!
Best Beef Chilli
- 1 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced finely
- 3 cloves garlic sliced finely
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (1 large can)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 1 zucchini optional
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 can kidney beans (or bean medley) rinse and drain
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tbsp cheddar cheese grated
- In a large saucepan, cook ground beef until browned. Mix in onions, garlic and celery and cook for 3 min. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in seasonings and tomato paste. Then add diced tomatoes, broth, zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 30-35 min.
- Mix in corn and beans and simmer for 5 min. Remove from heat and serve with rice, quinoa, or squash and add toppings of your choice (see recommended toppings above).